photo Header2.jpg

June 17, 2014

Let the journey begin!


Day 1; Porto Alegre

Our journey started at 6pm in Miami.. When we departed, it started to feel real.. We enjoyed the short plane ride to Panama but we were starting to get really tired..



Minutes away from landing in Panama we started to freak out.. Our cellphones said it was 9pm and our next flight was schedule for a 9:40pm departure. We got really anxious until the flight attendant told us it was 8pm local time.. Our reactions were hilarious!! 

We took the time to call our moms and update our social media.. Of course! ;) 



And we even took a selfie!!!! 


When it was time to board the plane we were extremely excited!!!



Our flight was really long and very uncomfortable.. I can't sleep on planes so I took something to help me sleep.. Well, it idn't work.. We spent most of the flight trying to rest and finally we gave up.. 

We arrived in Porto Alegre at 6:30am and when we left the "immigration area" we didn't even knew where to go!! It hit me right in that moment that I was in a totally different country where I barely spoke the language! 

Our first taxi ride was hilarious! She drove like a maniac and we did our best to communicate.. Once we got to the hotel we immediately took a nap, we were exhausted!! 

After our nap, it was time to go pick up our game tickets! It felt surreal, I was picking up tickets for 3 World Cup matches!! I still can't believe it! 



We spent a little bit of time at the shopping mall buying adapters to be able to charge our phones but we really stayed to use their wifi! lol 

I never thought that the first store I was going to visit in Porto Alegre was a Walmart.. In my defense I didn't knew it was one since it was called "BIG".. 



After our little shopping spree, we went to Porto Alegre's Fan Fest.. Brazil was schedule to play Mexico at 4pm and you could see shirts, flags, hats etc. everywhere! I'm gonna admit, I was extremely excited to experience my first game in Brazilian soil! 






We had so much fun watching the game with fans from all over the world! There were fans from Australia, Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Netherlands, Italy, USA, Brazil (obviously), Japan among others.. Personally I wasn't happy with the result but it was a very good game! 

Overall, our first day in Brazil has been amazing! Every taxi driver was really friendly and everyone is very helpful specially with the language barrier.. I have a basic knowledge about it but they speak waaaay to fast for me to understand what they're saying! I promise to get better at it, I still have 29 days to go!! ;)

Tomorrow we have our first World Cup match, we'll keep you guys informed!! 


Love,

Mayté

No comments:

Post a Comment